The STC.UNM Board of Directors created this new award in 2010 to annually honor a University of New Mexico inventor whose body of technologies has generated significant commercialization activities. Based on achievements in new technologies disclosed, patents received, license and option agreements entered into, new companies started and income generated from these technologies, the STC.UNM Innovation Fellow Board Committee evaluates and selects an Innovation Fellow.
The social and economic impact of the awardee’s technologies in the marketplace is important. New technologies resulting in substantial benefit to the public may have the most valuable impact on society. The STC.UNM Innovation Fellow award is recognition of that impact. STC makes an annual Innovation Fellow award. The award includes an honorarium of $2,500, a booklet outlining a summary of the metrics and impact of the awardee’s technologies and a commemorative gift.
STC will convene a group of Innovation Fellows who, it is hoped, will inspire colleagues to be innovators, raise the visibility of inventors both inside and outside the UNM community, and act as a network of mentors and collaborators who will drive future inventive endeavors for UNM and STC.
Past Innovation Fellows
- 2010 – Steven R.J. Brueck
- 2011 – Larry A. Sklar, Ph.D.
- 2012 – Stephen D. Hersee, Ph.D.
- 2013 – Graham S. Timmins, Ph.D.
- 2014 – Plamen B. Atanassov, Ph.D.
- 2015 – C. Jeffrey Brinker, Ph.D.
- 2015 – Cheryl Willman, M.D.
- 2016 – Gabriel P. López, Ph.D.
- 2017 – Bryce Chackerian, Ph.D.
- 2017 – David Peabody, Ph.D.
- 2018 – Sang M. Han, Ph.D.
- 2019 – Angela Wandinger-Ness, Ph.D.