The Economic Development Forum (EDF) was created by the STC.UNM Board of Directors to provide support to the University of New Mexico (UNM) on economic development matters. EDF membership consists of STC.UNM Board Members and UNM & business community members with interest in increasing the economic impact of UNM on the New Mexico economy. The EDF charge includes the following:
- Create a vision and plan for UNM and STC’s role in the economic ecosystem in New Mexico (ecosystem includes leadership, stakeholders, frameworks, resources, infrastructure, activities, culture, and role models). It is envisioned that STC and UNM will have an emphasis on entrepreneurial economic development, in cooperation with the STC.UNM Joseph L. Cecchi VentureLab Advisory Group.
- Advise UNM and STC regarding the implementation of the said plan.
- Collect and disseminate information about UNM and STC activities related to economic development.
- Raise the visibility of UNM’s role in the economic ecosystem in New Mexico.
- Expansion of the economic ecosystem in New Mexico, making the state a more attractive location for companies and positive entrepreneurial climate for entrepreneurs and investors.
The benefits of EDF are anticipated to include:
- Student recruiting interest in attending UNM and retention in New Mexico due to increased opportunities.
- Positive reflection and benefits, including opportunities for growth, for academic areas of excellence within UNM, based on increased entrepreneurial economic activity.
- Expansion of UNM’s visibility nationally with the attraction of capital from major venues.