STC.UNM and the UNM Innovation Academy co-hosted their sixth Rainforest Student Pitch Competition on November 13, at Bow & Arrow Brewing Co. The event drew a large crowd from the community who heard pitches for ideas, technologies, and companies from ten finalists. The 90-second presentations were the culmination of a vetting process that included an initial submission of a video pitch to a panel of judges who selected finalists for the final round at Bow & Arrow.
Below are the finalists and five winners.
- Darnell Cuylear – Hydrogels for drug delivery to improve patient experience
- Tye Martin – An adaptive shower chair for post-surgery, elderly, and wheelchair users*
- Anna Kuuttila/Alex Roerick – Novel career assessment designed specifically for college students
- Daniela Fry – Hand dipped treats like strawberries, marshmallows, pretzels, Oreos, rice Krispy treats and many more into various colored chocolates
- Chrysm Watson Ross – Empathic AI (Artificial Intelligence)
- Tracy Mallette – AfibActive is a new app that detects atrial fibrillation from bluetooth heart rate monitors in order to help avert strokes*
- Kyle Guin – Shutter Bombs – smoke bombs for photography and videography use*
- Joshua Romero/Noah Brooks/Mason Martinez – Digital marketing firm focused on engaging millennials
- Ben Matheson – A floor mat that uses “smart” fabric technologies which is capable of detecting the early-stages of skin breakdown among people with diabetes*
- Erik Strobert – A company that will produce synthetic THC to improve profits in the sale of legal marijuana products*
*winners of $1,000 prizes
STC and the Innovation Academy wish to thank the sponsors of this event: Bow & Arrow Brewing Co. (donated space), Nusenda Credit Union, UNM School of Engineering, Dekker/Perich/Sabatini, Jaynes Corporation and SIGNET.
This community initiative helps to recognize our student entrepreneurs in the state. Business pitch competitions are opportunities for aspiring student entrepreneurs to present their innovative ideas for products, services or technologies to local entrepreneurs, investors, and business professionals. This competition is open to students from any university in the state of New Mexico.
The next Rainforest Pitch Competition will be held on April 16, 2018.